Conrad L. Kraus
April 29, 1933 – May 13, 2009
April 29, 1933 – May 13, 2009
Msgr. Conrad L. Kraus, 76, died May 13, 2009 in Collegeville, Minn., where he was participating in a sabbatical study program.
Born April 29, 1933 in Erie, he was the son of the late Leonard J. and Adele Shelton Kraus. He attended Sacred Heart School and was a 1951 graduate of Cathedral Prep. He studied at Gannon University from 1951-53 and at the University of Detroit from 1953- 56, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in architecture. He studied at the School of St. Philip Neri in Boston from 1962-63, completing his seminary studies at St. Mary Seminary and University in Baltimore from 1963-67.
Following ordination, he later continued his studies at Carnegie Mellon University, Fordham University, and The Catholic University of America. He served in the U.S. Army from 1958-60.
He was ordained as a priest on May 27, 1967 at St. Peter Cathedral in Erie by Bishop John Whealon. His home parish was Sacred Heart in Erie.
From 1967-69, Msgr. Kraus served as an assistant pastor at St. Andrew Parish in Erie. He was then assigned as assistant at St. Brigid Parish in Meadville until 1972 where he also served as Catholic campus minister at Allegheny College. From 1972-74 he served in campus ministry at Villa Maria College in Erie while residing at Sacred Heart.
From 1974-75 he was assigned to studies at Fordham University, where he earned a master’s degree in religious education. In 1975 he was appointed as assistant pastor at St. Patrick Parish in Erie and in 1977 at St. Joseph Parish in Sharon. From 1978-83 he served as assistant at St. John the Baptist Parish in Erie.
In 1983 he was appointed by Bishop Michael Murphy to serve as director of the diocesan Office of Worship, a position he held for 25 years until his retirement in 2008. He resided at St. Peter Cathedral from 1983- 89, briefly at St. John the Baptist and then was appointed parish administrator at St. Anthony Parish in Cambridge Springs from 1989-92.
Following a return from sabbatical studies, he resided at St. John the Evangelist Parish in Girard from 1993-2001, at which time he was appointed pastor of St. Michael Parish in Emlenton while continuing as director of the Office of Worship. He retired in May 2008.
Msgr. Kraus was named a prelate of honor with the title of “monsignor” in 2000 by Pope John Paul II.
He served for many years in the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions and was nationally recognized for his understanding of liturgical celebrations.
Msgr. Kraus volunteered his time and talent to Emmaus Ministries in Erie, particularly at Emmaus Soup Kitchen and his annual valentine-making project with the students at the Neighborhood Art House.
His final endeavor was a project on the work of the Novy Dvur Trappist Monastery in the Czech Republic.
Tribute prepared by the Diocese of Erie and published in “FaithLife,” May 24, 2009.